Monday, September 15, 2014

Smile!



I went to my dear friend Kristan's farewell today. She's going to Peru next week and she's going to rock as a missionary, I just know it.

She moved away when we were in 2nd grade and we've been pen pals ever since then. It's crazy how two 8 year olds made sure to send each other letters and stay in touch. She has influenced my life in more ways than one and all I can say is that we were meant to be friends and stay friends. As soon as I got her text saying that she was working on her papers, I knew that my time had come. And as soon as I acknowledged that, there was no turning back.

Sometimes I don't understand why I feel like my going on a mission is such a big deal. It's only 18 months, there are plenty of sister missionaries out there, and I'm just not that big of a deal. But today as we were singing the closing hymn, "God Be with You Till We Meet Again" (which never fails to make me cry) I looked at Kristan up on the stand and although she was crying, she had the biggest smile on her face. I realized that even though I don't feel like I will make a difference, this is what I want to do. This is where I want to be. And no matter how scared I am, this is the happiest decision I have ever made. I want to be able to smile that brightly at my farewells. I want my friends and family to see that I am happy with my decision and that I am ready to do the Lord's work.

One missionary in Peru, one in Mexico. AdiĆ³s mi amiga!

No comments:

Post a Comment