Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Forgotten English I Have (August 16, 2015) Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico

So I gave a talk in church for the first time on my mission yesterday. I started out by saying "Good morning brothers and sisters. Today I'm going to give my talk in English, because it's way easier for me that way." HA. You should have seen their faces. Some thinking "I should have paid attention in English class!" or "This missionary is crazy." I ended up giving it in Spanish, much to their relief. I don't know if they appreciated my joke.

WE FOUND A GOLDEN INVESTIGATOR. She's awesome. Her name is Alicia. She had a ton of doubts about baptism and why there are so many churches. So we taught her about the Restoration little by little and when we taught about the First Vision, it was like everything clicked for her. We asked her if her questions had been answered, and she said yes with a huge smile on her face. In her prayer she said "Thank you for sending the missionaries. I had a lot of doubts before, but now I don't." She's awesome and I love her. She has a baptism date for September 12th. I'll tell you more about her when I have more time. Just know that she's awesome and that all of you have to meet her one day.

So we started doing slits this week. We have a ton of sisters in Saltillo so we have to do them twice a week. It was surprisingly not that stressful, but it really wore me out. And I got to go to my old area! Zaragoza 2! You would think that after all my complaining about it I would be loath to go back, but I got to see the Esparza Rodriguez family and we had a movie moment when Hermana Martha saw me, recognized me, and yelled "HERMANAAAA" and then started crying as she hugged me. I love them. As for splits, it's interesting working with the sisters. Seeing how they work and how we can help them. Some of them take counsel well, some of them don't, but it's alright. We do what we can. 

Being with an American companion is different. We had a life crisis yesterday when we realized that we don't know how women greet each other in the US. Here we kiss each other on the cheek. In the US do we just shake hands? Wave from a distance? Hug? Do a ceremonial dance? I DON'T KNOW. We've also discovered that when we speak English we speak like Yoda. "It's tight, my skirt." "It's here she lives."  

This week went by really fast. And I don't know if you know this, but I'm now going downward on the number of months I have. GAH. 

I love you all and I hope you enjoy your air conditioner.

-Hermana Murset

Pictures:
 Us being all Sister Training Leaderish with Hermana Cano and Hermana Mex.

LA FAMILIA ESPARZA RODRIGUEZ. With a new addition to the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment