Monday, March 14, 2016

Where's Jesus Manuel? (Oceania, Saltillo, Coahuila, México)

That's my half hearted attempt at word play. (Where's Waldo?)


I would tell you the story about how we decided to go to Centro (where all the cool stuff is) but the bus ended up taking us to the very edge of Saltillo.... but I'll save that story for when I get home. But I don't know if I'll be able to tell it in English...

But don't worry, I have ANOTHER story. So a while back we started teaching a man named Jesus Manuel. He's about 80 years old and has a sickness that always makes him feel dizzy. The first few lessons I wasn't super convinced that he wanted to hear our message, but then we taught the Restoration, and he went "WWWOOOOWWWWWW! I WANNA GO TO CHURCH!" He's super convinced that this is the true church and he wanted to go see what it was like. 
I was pretty sure that he was going to go to church, but for some reason I felt uneasy. Sunday morning we were going to go pick up some investigators, but I kept feeling like we needed to go make sure that he had left to go to church. So we passed by, and saw that his car wasn't there. Good! So he went. But I still felt uneasy. So we got to church, and he wasn't there! We called his phone, it was turned off. We waited, he never showed up. (The real life of missionaries). So we went into the sacrament room and sat down because the service had already started. 
BUT THEN. 
I turned to my companion and said "Let's run out to the main street and see if he's there." 
Fat chance that he was going to be there, but we left the chapel and started running. The members probably thought we were crazy. We get to the main street and lo and behold, there's his car! It's easy to spot seeing as it's a red Volkswagon Beetle. But.... where was he? And THAT was when we started to hear rock and roll Christian music. We turned around and BOOM, we realized that he had entered into a rock and roll Christian church that is on the same block as the chapel. 
Uh....
Um...........
So what did we do? We started talking to a guy from that church that was standing outside with his kid. We kindly asked him if he could go see if there was an older man with white hair named Jesus Manuel in the church. The whole time very aware that our black name tag was shining in the sun. Within minutes Jesus Manuel came out, looking very disoriented, led by some people. 
We didn't wait for them to react and we practically dragged him to the chapel, just in time for the sacrament.
Haha later he told us that he was actually just about to leave the church that he was in because he was really confused and because he didn't see us anywhere. 
He's great!

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I would also tell you about the time when I had to open a pop bottle with pliers, but that's another story for another day.

Next week I'm going to learn how to make flour tortillas! Wee!!!

I love you all and I'll see you next week!

Hermana Murset

Pictures:
1. We teach a recent convert, Willy, outside of his house because he lives alone. This is a common occurence. I did the same with Tomas! Rain or shine.

2.Hahahaha a recent convert family that I love. The Vasquez family. The hermano is such a jokster.

No comments:

Post a Comment